Director of Development and Donor Relations
Our organization is currently seeking a Director of Development and Donor Relations to manage our individual fundraising initiatives and oversee our donor relations program. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing Children’s Cancer Research Fund’s major gift fundraising campaigns, communicating with current and prospective donors, and building and leading a strong development team for our organization.
Individual Giving Programs/Fundraising:
- The Director of Development and Donor Relations manages a portfolio of approximately 80-100 major and planned gift prospects.
- Collaborate with the CEO on his/her portfolio of donors.
- Collaborate with CEO and Development Team to create strategies to achieve fundraising goals.
- Work closely with CEO to build major gift priorities, case statements, and goals as developed by the CCRF Board and Staff, ensuring that the entire Staff understands CCRF’s case for support and major gift and planned giving priorities.
- Partner with the Gift Officers and Prospect Researcher to develop the Major Gift pipeline and pyramid. Assist the team in achieving those plans, and establish metrics that ensure successful implementation of activities to meet revenue goals.
- Build a “culture of philanthropy” internally so that all staff understands that major gift philanthropy is a shared goal and essential for continued growth. In particular, building a culture that understands that a dynamic major gift portfolio is supported from prospects surfaced from event attendees and direct marketing efforts.
- Align major gift efforts with cancer research priorities through engagement with the Research Advisory Committee, CCRF Chief Medical Advisors, other U of M and Masonic Cancer Center faculty and staff, and U of M Foundation development staff.
- Define and manage organization programs for planned gifts. Create and implement strategy for mid-level donors to ensure a robust major gift pipeline.
- Assist Donor Relations Manager in creating stewardship plans for donors at various levels of giving.
- Supervise the Development Team.
- Serve as a member of the Senior Leadership Team.
- Act as staff liaison to the Development Committee of the Board of Directors.
- Manage the Development budget.
- Collaborate with the Marketing Team to help create solicitation and marketing materials.
- Make public appearances and attend speaking engagements.
- Stay on top of fundraising trends of the nonprofit community.
- Collaborate with leaders to develop and implement the organization’s strategic plan.
- Partner with the Events, Direct Mail, Marketing and Donor Services teams so that each team complements the others’ efforts to achieve fundraising goals. Develop ways to leverage and integrate major giving efforts into CCRF’s events, social media, direct mail, community fundraising and other outreach efforts.
- Extensive knowledge of development and philanthropy, preferably in the nonprofit field
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and writing skills
- Positive attitude and excellent listening ability
- Organized and inspiring team leader
- Strong commitment to CCRF mission
- Ability to close six and seven figure gifts
Required education and experience:
- Bachelor’s in Business Administration, Communication or related field
- 7-10 years of development experience, including at least 5 years of Major Gift fundraising
Preferred education and experience:
- Familiarity with RE/NXT or other CRM nonprofit software and donor databases
- Knowledge of Twin Cities’ philanthropic community
Supervisor responsibility: Supervise Development Team – Gift Officers, Donor Relations Manager, Prospect Researcher/Grant Writer
Position type and expected hours of work: Full-time, weekdays, some evenings and weekends
Travel: Travel required
Reports to:Chief Executive Officer
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.